søndag 26. mars 2017

Battle Report #461: Haley2 vs Makeda2

:: Prologue ::

Busy weekend in terms of Warmachine & Hordes! No less than 10 games in total and the reports will be coming up now.

To make a long story short I'm struggling to find a pair I really like. I'm not sold on any single one list as the place to start so I'm playing lots of different things these days to better understand Cygnar. First up was a new variant of Haley2 in heavy metal, one which tries to incorporate a Stormwall but maintain the flexibility of the heavies from the Electrobots list. Facing me was an evolution for Makeda2 I've discussed with my regular Skorne opponent, which we were both eager to see in action!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
"Technical Death Metal"
[Theme] Heavy Metal
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25]
 - Charger [9]
 - Hammersmith [12]
 - Stormwall [39]
 - Thorn [13]
 - Squire [0]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
 - Charger [9]
Lieutenant Allison Jakes [4]
 - Stormclad [18]
Opponent:
(Makeda 2) Supreme Archdomina Makeda [+27]
 - Despoiler [19]
 - Molik Karn [19]
Mortitheurge Willbreaker [4]
Mortitheurge Willbreaker [4]
Tyrant Rhadeim [9]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Praetorian Ferox (max) [20]
Praetorian Ferox (max) [20]
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew [2]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Scenario is Recon, Cygnar seizes the initiative. Plan? Get heavies decent angles, let the shooting get work done. Prevent scenario overruns. 


:: Game ::

I place the Hammersmith and Jakes' Stormclad on one flank, Junior's Charger and the Stormwall on the other.


Makeda advances cautiously.


I take some pot shots, let the Charger be exposed and back the rest off.


Makeda slowly pushes up. Some damage is dealt to the Charger but I am lucky with where it lands.


The cats on my left flank can both be TK'd out of Makeda's CMD range so Stay Death won't be an issue. My plan revolves around activating the Hammersmith in the center, get him to apply his presence and angles and let the Stormwall + Charger kill whatever's left after him there. With 2x TKs in the center and feat I should have a decent attrition start.

I mess up following one of the TKs though, I miss with Thorn and forget that he's in dodge range from Rhadeim so the cat pops back in Makeda's CMD. The Stormclad kills one and the Stormwall doesn't accomplish as much as I'd hoped on the right.


Makeda2 tends to not accomplish a whole lot under my feat and this game is no exception.


This situation in my opinion truly shows why Molik Karn is such an interesting addition. I have to clear out cats because my support is exposed and I don't have the focus nor positions to effectively handle either of his heavies. My idea then is to split up the important pieces: Stormwall on the far right, Hammersmith up in the center and Thorn + Stormclad to the left. With support safely tucked away this should hopefully be good.

It all works out and now I just have to hope he can't deal a crippling blow to me.


The Despoiler and Rhadeim go into the 'wall, but even with Makeda's feat (great for crititcal brutal damage) it's not enough to take it out. Molik Karn kills Hammersmith + Thorn, but the 'clad is left alive.


Without Thorn applying Haley's presence isn't that easy, but the table is clearing up so I can afford to move her within 8" of Molik Karn. This sets up the plays I need to safely kill both him and the Despoiler, as well as dismount Rhadeim.


With both heavies lost my opponent looks for angles on Haley. He finds none and we shake hands.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Very interesting game! While I missed the flexibility of the Electrobots, the stability of the Stormwall was something I've missed. The lack of Fireflies meant the electro leaps were a lot less dangerous, but the added shooting gave the list more punch.

The Makeda2 setup of two maxed units of Ferox with Willbreakers (for tough + steady) and Rhadeim (for dodge) is probably Skorne's best generalist approach now. It's an incredibly strong list. Our dojo to swap various support pieces for Molik Karn turned out to be a good decision in my opinion. Felt a lot harder to play against because once all the cats were done with the list still had a ton of punch.

A good start for the "Technical Death Metal" variant!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar