tirsdag 6. september 2016

Battle Report #285: Haley2 vs Syntherion

:: Prologue ::

The second game I played yesterday was against Syntherion! My regular Convergence opponent has been wanting to try out a concept list against Haley2 for some time now. I was eager to comply!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Ragman - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Forge Master Syntherion - WJ: +27
- Assimilator - PC: 16
- Assimilator - PC: 16
- Corollary - PC: 6
- Galvanizer - PC: 5
- Galvanizer - PC: 5
- Galvanizer - PC: 5
- Prime Axiom - PC: 38 (Battlegroup Points Used: 27)
- Diffuser - PC: 6
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - PC: 2
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - PC: 2

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Same map and scenario but this time I went first. The idea was to force a favourable fight of attrition by going early scenario, classic Haley2-style.


:: Game ::

With Syntherion dropping defensively the plan was on. I mistakenly sent Thorn out on the left flank, a bit of a brainfart as he'd be way more likely to be needed on the other flank. Oh well.


One light advances up behind the forest, ready to contest. The rest are kind of defensive.


I spend a ton of time looking for angles to kill both arc nodes. I eventually settle on killing one, keeping the Stormwall out of range of the other, and feat while I get my things in line. I kill the light by TK-ing it out and I bolt the closest Arc node and TK Thorn to get him in cover -and- engaging the Assimilator without being engaged in return. A pretty good spot for him.


Thinking long and hard my opponent eventually realizes that scenario can become a huge issue here. He decides to go all in. The left Assimilator is outside of my feat range and decides to go for a lucky scatter to take out Lanyssa. This works but it's a small victory, he's way too committed and I have too much power lined up for him.


Firefly + Ragman up, Stormwall in with TA vs PA and Ironclad follows up. For good measure Thorn disrupts one Assimilator and the Stormwall pods the other, doing damage so that both heavies are unable to receive focus.


The game is effectively over and my opponent concedes.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

This game is a very classic Haley2 game. You pressure scenario extremely early and force your opponent to commit unfavourably, at which point the alpha just kills the attrition game.

I think that Syntherion is an interesting counter in theory. Magnetic Hold is obviously huge. The Arc Node play needs tuning though. I think that given enough experience this might be a viable counter, but list tuning and finding the right plays are super important. As per usual scenario is the biggest problem in many ways against Haley2. Not sure how Syntherion is supposed to play around that.

The Lanyssa mistake was bad and I need to consider her positioning more and earlier on. Thorn running left was also bad. I need to actually think about this because in my last game with Haley2 I did the same exact mistake. Running too much on autopilot early game.



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar