onsdag 7. september 2016

Battle Report #286: Haley2 vs Issyria

:: Prologue ::

Got a couple more games in today. Was hoping to play Ossyan again with Haley3 but my opponent had to cancel. I did however get to play Issyria, which meant bringing out Haley2! Let's go, girl!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Ragman - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:

Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn - WJ: +29
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker - PC: 4
- Hyperion - PC: 36 (Battlegroup Points Used: 29)
- Chimera - PC: 8
Arcanist Mechanik - PC: 2
Arcanist Mechanik - PC: 2
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen - PC: 8
Elara, Tyro of the Third Chamber - PC: 4
- Discordia - PC: 18
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 6
Heavy Rifle Team - Leader & Grunt: 4
Heavy Rifle Team - Leader & Grunt: 4
House Vyre Electromancers - Leader & 2 Grunts: 8

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

WTC lists are out! Time to start practicing... First up was Issyria and the scenario was Entrenched. While I won the roll-off I decided to go second as it's a better stress-test for the matchup. The idea was to force a scenario angle and have a strong outer flank.



:: Game ::

Retribution runs up. HRTs take the right flank. Electromancers chill out behind jacks.


The Chimera moved up extremely aggressively, trying to utilize the central forest to get into a dangerous position. I figured I could try punishing him for this and I moved up Thorn, cast Dominate and reaction drove Thorn in safety of my own. Because the reaction drive took him within 6" of the Chimera he moved away but couldn't quite get in safety again. Stormwall shot it up and removed left side, movement and arc node. I made a big mistake as the Ironclad ran into the cloud instead of camping out behind it.


HRTs punish the Ironclad by taking out its cortex and right arm. Ouch. Hyperion moves up because that's what colossals do but he's not in range of anything so no real harm done. Chimera moves back and is repaired by an Arcanist.


My plan is working out quite well. I figure this is the time to commit and feat. I put up TA on the Stormwall and kill one HRT with Arcane Bolts. The Stormwall starts shooting the objective but it's Stockpile so Hyperion takes the hit. Not worth it by far. I kill off the Chimera instead with the rest of my shots.


Retribution have given me too much board space and they are now unable to contest. Issyria tries feating to get a decent turn of shooting but the damage simply isn't there.


Instead of going all-in here I decide to move back instead, keeping the Stormwall safe for a counter-attack if needed.


I make a mistake as I put Haley close enough to the objective so that Hyperion can blast damage me. Big mistake. My opponent goes for the boosted blast + ancillary attack...


...but luckily for me it's not enough.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

An interesting and different Retribution list for me to face. I must say I prefer facing a ton of support over the durable-yet-shooty Invictors who have often proved to be a problem in my games vs Issyria. I find that the trio of Eiryss2, Skeryth and Chimera are points that are rather ineffective against my list as it is so hard to get work out of them on the same level as their points cost. I do however see the point of taking like Eiryss2 and Electromancers against more heavy-oriented builds so I suppose my list is just a natural counter here.

As with most games against Issyria scenario becomes an issue for Retribution here. I'm pretty sure Issyria, Hyperion and Discordia should've deployed further to the right and tried to create a stronger right flank to allow the HRTs and Eiryss a lot of space while my Lances would need to get work done in another way, somehow.

Interesting game and good practice.


2 kommentarer:

  1. Feels good that this was your first test game ;)

    I think you have the basics of the matchup down pretty well, giving away the chimera was a big setback and really unneccesairy. Scenario is a big win condition for you though that gives you the edge in the matchup.

    /Christoffer

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks for the feedback! There's always a time for firsts :) I got in too more games yesterday as well. Issyria makes the HRTs kind of annoying. I have yet to have problems with them with other casters. It has to do with reaching a critical volume of firepower I think, at which point you can downright feat and alpha by ranged attacks alone. Always a scary prospect ;)

      Slett