mandag 26. september 2016

WTC 2016 Game 3 (#306): Haley2 vs Haley2

:: Prologue ::

For our third game we drew Russia Wolves. With two losses our morale wasn't the best but we were determined to try and end day 1 on a win at least. The way the pairing went I decided to take a hard matchup for the team because that ensured everyone else got favourable matchups. I would have to duke it out in a mirror-match on Outlast against a pairing which was a carbon copy of a former tournament pairing of mine: Haley2 and Sloan with identical lists as I took to my first Mk. 3 tournament!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Ragman - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

I considered dropping Haley3 here but unfortunately I wasn't sure my opponent would drop Haley2. Haley2 vs Haley2 is a crazy matchup that is so hard to play because of the insane amount of angles.

However we are playing Outlast and the terrain is positively ridiculous with 2 obstructions blocking a huge base from entering the right zone in the optimal position. Despite losing the roll-off then I am able to force my opponent to make a choice with his Stormwall: Does he commit left or right?


:: Game ::

The evil Cygnar advance cautiously.


I forget to activate Junior before Stormwall. This is big as I thus have to create a fort Junior to keep him safe. I take out a Storm Lance on the right with Arcane Bolt and make ready to play the scenario.


Evil Haley fears getting killed so she hangs way back and feats, only catching the Stormwall. This is to get her own Stormwall up safely. Evil Stormwall shoots at Lances but dice are beyond miserable and nobody dies. Lanyssa, the bait put up in cover, is killed. I figure she is irrelevant with my scenario play and forcing him to spend focus on her is about the best I can do I think.


I TK out a Lance and the Ironclad, Stormwall kills the last lance contesting with a big gun, I put my own feat up catching everything of importance and camp 3 in the trench with Thorn ahead of me. 2-0.


My opponent sees no other way than to go for an assassination here. I fear a deja vu from last game as this is indeed a long shot: TK-ing away Thorn to TK Haley away from the Trench (on DEF17 and DEF20 respectively) before his Stormwall with TA can put 2 shots on 8+ to hit onto me. Unfortunately for me the initial TKs both hit so it's down to whether the Stormwall can do enough work with 2 focus and 2 shots. Fortunately for me this time the dice aren't crazy and I survive. My opponent concedes the game. A win for me, about damn time.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

I don't know if there's much to be said about this game. The matchup is interesting in itself but I make a number of mistakes because I frankly can't muster the motivation to bring my A-game after a long day with 2 losses. Furthermore the terrain completely kills the matchup because his Stormwall has such a hard way of getting to my zone. Possibly he could've contested the zone if he had blocked TK landing spots behind the obstruction but it becomes really expensive relatively quickly.

In any case I finally take a game and the rest of my team deliver solid results as well, Norway Red walks away with a 5-0 win and ends day 1 on 1-2.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar