mandag 26. september 2016

Battle Report #303: Haley2 vs Butcher3

:: Prologue ::

The second and very last practice game was against my Khador team mate's Butcher3 mad dog spam list. I was eager to put the lessons I learned in my last game vs mad dogs to the test!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Ragman - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Kommander Zoktavir, the Butcher Unleashed - WJ: +22 (Stockpile)
- Mad Dog - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Mad Dog - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Mad Dog - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Mad Dog - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 1)
- Mad Dog - PC: 7
- Mad Dog - PC: 7
- Mad Dog - PC: 7
- Mad Dog - PC: 7
- Mad Dog - PC: 7
- Mad Dog - PC: 7
- Ruin - PC: 17
Ogrun Bokur (Client: the Butcher)- PC: 5
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We play Extraction. Now, the clue against Mad Dogs in my experience is to anchor with the wall, flank with both the 'clad and Thorn, hold the other flank with Lances (simply to buy time) and ensure that the Firefly both gets to attack and put its +2 damage to use. I deployed accordingly.


:: Game ::

The Butcher goes first, puts up Silence of Death on Ruin and energizes to put his things up ahead at full speed.


I cannot dominate a Mad Dog and kill it without putting either the Stormwall or Thorn within Ruin's threat range. Instead I TK a Mad Dog, TK Thorn back and kill a dog by way of shooting. The Ironclad sets up out on the flank, the Storm Lances move outside of jam range, Ragman + Lanyssa in place and the Firefly holds the center.


The Mad Dogs do what they do best: Clump way the fuck up to create a fort jackspam.


I have absolutely everything in place to capitalize on my superior power here. It's all a matter of pre-measuring with proxy bases etc to ensure that I get the maximum amount of attacks in. I do manage to land all 4 of my jacks in good positions with Death Field helping me out, the carnage is amazing and Haley covers me with feat.


The Dogs spread out to try and contain my feat. Ruin stays back.


The Ironclad and Thorn clear up my right flank, leaving the Stormwall free to move towards the center. Haley then TKs a dog so that the 'wall can get to ruin. With Ragman and Temporal it kills Ruin and the remaining dogs in its melee range.

Unfortunately I end up making a very unfavourable move with the Firefly...


Butcher can simply charge past the Firefly, cast Impending Doom and kill Haley. Poor placement from me. I concede the game and we reposition the Firefly to block Butcher's charge path. We play it out as if Butcher has to go for attrition. He goes in and manages to grab both the Ironclad and Thorn with Impending Doom. Due to having to cast Silence of Death -and- Energizer this doesn't leave him on a lot of focus though and in this particular game he is unable to kill the Stormwall after some miserable rolls. In any case, I'd already lost.

Sadly, a Loss to the Swans. 

:: Evaluation ::

I am very pleased with how I was able to systematically dismantle the Mad Dogs here. True, they are a different beast to handle without Counter-charge but the idea is sound and the rate at which they died under my feat turn and the following turn says a lot about how effectively I can destroy armour.

The problem with the Butcher is his ability to kill all of my key pieces if I am not very careful with where I place them. I probably could and definitely should have looked for ways to keep the Ironclad safe here. It's easy to get greedy on the dogs. Against Karchev that might be a viable play depending on the positioning of the remaining dogs, but againts Butcher it almost always boils down to my ability to retaliate after his feat.

Although I lost I learned a valuable lesson: Don't let Haley get dragged in!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar