mandag 5. september 2016

Battle Report #278: Haley3 vs Ossyan

:: Prologue ::

More Haley3 practice and more uphill fights! Another pair of games against the dreaded Ossyan.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
Lord Arcanist Ossyan - WJ: +28
- Discordia - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Imperatus - PC: 22 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
Arcanist Mechanik - PC: 2
Ghost Sniper - PC: 3
Mage Hunter Strike Force - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
- Mage Hunter Strike Force Commander - PC: 4
Mage Hunter Strike Force - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
- Mage Hunter Strike Force Commander - PC: 4
Stormfall Archers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 9
Stormfall Archers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 9

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Outlast and I got to move first. I got a side with a forest and an impassable around which I could cloud. I deployed fairly centrally. Retribution replied likewise.


:: Game ::

Tactical Supremacy on Trenchers, Shield on Haley. The latter was a little premature, especially considering I put the Lances partially within the SFA threat range. Cloudwall up.


MHSF on the right commit to try and take out Lances. I am ok with this as it puts them potentially in harm's way and the cloudwall is what's important here I believe. The ones on the left cuddle around Discordia, fearing Past's Chain Blasts.


I think this matchup boils down to whether I can get control of his jacks or his Strike Force without losing too much doing so. I now have an excellent opening: Both Strike Force units are exposed. All I have to do is feat. I run up Thorn, Dominate Discordia away (even sending off a spray which hits 4 Strike Force dudes, unfortunately only 1 dies) and Past Chain Blasts the UA. The Grenadiers launch their blasts and with that many AoE3s there are bound to be some hits and the damage is glorious. I revive 2 Lances to draw him out and the right Lance kills a handful of Strike Force because Cygnar cav is awesome.


SFA on the right commit with MHSF to take out Lances. Imperatus tries to punish Thorn but being behind an obstacle and having Set Defense is a thing so he misses and I Dodge away. The retaliation just isn't there and I basically get away with murder.


Imperatus chooses to use Admonition and I punish him greatly for it, taking him down with shooting + Past. I also clean up on the right flank.


There are no scenario angles and no assassination angles. My opponent forfeits the game.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

An intense game and one I was very happy to walk away from with a win! However, Retribution made a huge strategical blunder T1 here (actually more like 2). First of all, Strike Force need to either commit or stay the fuck back. Either are fine here I think, he's moving as the second player and has long threat ranges. However if he does move up he has to commit 100% and try and remove that cloudwall. Shooting Lances is definitely the wrong decision. Note to self: Dirge on Trenchers is what I need here to maximise their chances of escaping an alpha.

The second mistake my opponent makes is that he doesn't set up so that it'll cost me to start pounding the Strike Force. On both flanks they are easy pickings. I think that by having the jacks move up more aggressively (for example to take advantage of the central wall) with Strike Force cover and the SFA following up close behind it becomes a litt riskier for me to go for them like this. In a nutshell he is attacking me with pieces of his army at a time which allows me to deal with the one threat present instead of having to care about retaliation.

Nevertheless Ossyan is a hard caster to face for Haley3 without a doubt and a win is a win. I am also still making a number of mistakes myself (though few strategical ones I feel).

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar