mandag 26. september 2016

WTC 2016 Game 2 (#305): Haley2 vs Iron Mother

:: Prologue ::

For our second game we drew Spain Rogue. I ended up with one of the best matchups I could have gotten: Convergence! This is a faction I am -very- comfortable of facing with Haley2 and I was eager to play again.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Ragman - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Iron Mother Directrix & Exponent Servitors - WJ: +27
- Iron Mother Directrix & Exponent Servitors Cont.
- Assimilator - PC: 16
- Assimilator - PC: 16
- Corollary - PC: 6
- Galvanizer - PC: 5
- Prime Axiom - PC: 38 (Battlegroup Points Used: 27)
Elimination Servitors - 3 Elimination Servitors: 3
Elimination Servitors - 3 Elimination Servitors: 3
Elimination Servitors - 3 Elimination Servitors: 3
Steelsoul Protector - PC: 4
Attunement Servitors - 3 Attunement Servitors: 4
Optifex Directive - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Recon and I lost the roll-off (fun fact: I lost all roll-offs all weekend). I am aware of how much hurt he can put on Haley through backlash and puncture bots so I spread out my electro leaps to hopefully buy my some space and time at least.


:: Game :: 

The bots all swarm up.


I have a big opening on the right flank: I can trample the Stormwall, pod and TA the Firefly to electro leap lots of bots. It works out splendidly and that hopefully gives me some breathing space. I put up Deflection and camp 2. The left flank take care to stay out of Ground Pounder range. Lanyssa takes up cover on the right flank.


The backlash madness begins! My opponent moves up the throw-away jack and arcs backlash onto the 'wall. The various ranged sources of damage start pounding it but my clear-up on the right flank helps a lot and Haley only suffers a couple of boxes.


I see an opening to clear the zone and move to 3-0, covering virtually every Convergence model in Shift. This is a good a chance as any and with Ragman, Lanyssa, all Lances and all jacks in place I don't see what he can do to prevent me from going to 5. If things get completely fucked up I also have an open space on the right flag so I can run Haley to the flag for example.

I count the various damage sources and conclude that backlash-assassinating Haley is theoretically impossible.


Unfortunately for me Iron Mother has domination. The Ironclad gets dominated, moves over and makes his 9+ on 2d6 to hit Haley in the head. This brings her down to just a few boxes and the Backlash damage does the rest.

Sadly, a Loss to the Swans. 

:: Evaluation ::

The asssassination is indeed a long-shot, but there is fairly little I could've done about it. Perhaps with optimal pre-measuring I could've had the Ironclad further away but it still leaves Thorn as a target and although those odds are worse I could not have prevented the attempt assuming I wanted the 3-0 move. His assassination run here is probably around 20-25% and it really is hard to bring even a good matchup to better odds than that safely. The problem with backlash is that time is against me here as the wounds keep mounting up and I can't like heal for 6-7 boxes each turn.

I feel I played a good game here. I found a ton of openings and really put him in a difficult position. I don't think there's a whole lot I could've done differently to have a better position.

Losing this game was a big blow, not least of all because my team ended up going 2-3 in total as well. 2 games and 2 losses both individually and for the team. So much for dark horse status.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar