mandag 19. september 2016

Battle Report #298: Haley3 vs Vayl2

:: Prologue ::

Following a game vs Wurmwood I was up against Vayl2. I believe Haley3 is up in this matchup but for the first time I faced what I believe is a -very- solid Vayl2 list in the hands of a very skilled player. Let's get to it!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
Vayl, Consul of Everblight - WB: +28
- Nephilim Bolt Thrower - PC: 11 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)
- Ravagore - PC: 19 (Battlegroup Points Used: 17)
- Seraph - PC: 14
- Typhon - PC: 24
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blackfrost Shard - Sevryn, Rhylyss & Vysarr: 9
Blighted Nyss Raptors - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18
Hellmouth - Hellmouth & 3 Tentacles: 6

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Same map & scenario. Legion moves first. I pick a side which allows me to place Prime outside of Vayl's top of 1 threat and still move into Rubble for perma-cover bottom of 1. If my opponent for some reason wanted to skew on the opposite side I had a fence on my right. He did not do so however and I went for the original plan.


:: Game ::

Legion move out and the left Grenadier tanks a Chasten to the face. Luckily no significant damage done.


I move out and get as many models in the DEF-bubble as I can. A grenadier and the Charger takes out 2 tentacles.


Vayl makes a very interesting play: She feats for the Lances! Given the odds for spell-assassinating me when I have a piece of Rubble I think this is a decent play. He does manage to get all Lances but it exposes the Ravagore, the Seraph, to an extent the Typhon and the Raptors.


Typhon in the cloud is kind of iffy to deal with by ways of shooting. DEF15 is simply too much and he has his animus up. I get too greedy here unfortunately and go for a play to kill all 3 heavies. I mess up with counting my focus and some poor dice rolls ensure I hardly even scratch the Typhon whereas the Seraph is still more than a little alive.

The play I go for is Ironclad Ghost Walk + full focus -> charge Ravagore, Past Force Hammer Typhon and then move out.


The problem with this play, besides being too greedy, is that I have given Legion exactly what they need: Typhon can charge Future and get 3 blasts onto Prime. He can also probably strip me of arcane shield and possibly even land Kiss since Future is so exposed. My opponent does not know the rules interactions well enough so he doesn't play this run optimally, but his dice are kind enough to him (he needed a 15+ on the last boosted damage roll to kill me, which he got on the spot) to kill Prime and teach me a lesson.

Sadly, a Loss to the Swans.

:: Evaluation ::

I think my early game play is solid, but the feat turn was way too greedy. I just need to keep Prime alive. If I can get both the Ravagore and the Seraph while doing so I'm pretty sure I'm up. There are too many models left with too high defense and too many boxes for him to deal with effectively and the scenario is dead.

This loss does serve to show just how lethal Vayl2 is though. Haley3 is incredibly hard to assassinate at a distance unless you can knock her down, but Vayl2 has some next-level angles for sure and this list has everything it needs to land them while still having a solid attrition game.

A very interesting game and although crazy dice ensured the loss, I did deserve it following my feat turn play. With optimal play from my opponent the run is probably around 50-60% I think, perhaps even more.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar