mandag 12. september 2016

Invasion 2016 Game 3 (#290): Haley3 vs Vayl2

:: Prologue ::

The last game of day 1 saw me draw Legion yet again in the hands of my club mate Stian. I faced a pairing with Vayl2 and Thagrosh (2 I believe? Not sure) and didn't hesitate to drop Haley3. I received Vayl2 in reply and we were off!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
Vayl, Consul of Everblight - WB: +28
- Angelius - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 17)
- Typhon - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)
- Nephilim Bolt Thrower - PC: 11
- Seraph - PC: 14
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Strider Deathstalker - PC: 4
Blighted Nyss Raptors - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18
Hellmouth - Hellmouth & 3 Tentacles: 6
Hellmouth - Hellmouth & 3 Tentacles: 6

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Incursion and I went first. The idea was to slow-push and sooner or later force the scenario issue or have him commit unfavourably. I deployed the Lances on the flank I anticipated him to skew towards and indeed I was right.


:: Game ::

Dig in across the board and a super tight formation. Prime is going for the excellent cover piece.


Legion plays it slow as well but fears going centrally and thus skew left for the wall. In and of itself an ok move I guess but it leaves me with too much table space.


I capitalize on his defensive play by pushing up so hard that he has to commit or suffer a huge scenario risk. I move the Lances into my midst to have counter-charges to any alphas he might attempt and to be in range of Distortion. Thorn takes the flanking duty.


Contemplating for nearly 20 minutes my opponent ends up to try and launch an alpha and see what it gets him. I did position Ragman very poorly but luckily for me Vayl was too busy handing out upkeeps and helping out otherwise with her fury to bother with him.

The alpha is, unfortunately for Legion, quite insignificant. Some troops are jammed, I lose a Lance, some Trenchers and a crippled Grenadier but there is so much power left.


Time to feat and counter. Hard. I trigger admonition early on the Angelius as I threaten to jam it in. After that it's all Ragman, Past, focus-loaded jacks and Lances. I kill both heavies and 2 Raptors. Prime camps a focus or two and is safely tucked away.


The situation is extremely dire for Vayl so Stian decides to go for the assassination play. The only way to avoid Prime's cover and get back arc though is to run Raptors through multiple Lance free strikes. They all die so he has to settle for trying to get past DEF22. Although he does land Icy Grip as his first spell, this still means he's hitting on 12+ and the solid DEF-skew proves too much. Vayl fails and the game is over.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

The more I play this matchup the more I wonder what Vayl's supposed to do here. Even without any terrain modifiers Prime is kind of hard to take down so assassination is at best a last, ditch effort. The grind just seems impossible to win because there's no way you can get the volume you need to make a difference. The hard part for Legion is that there are no key pieces to take out, regardless of what you kill there will be enough things left to really bring on the hurt.

Going first is actually a big deal here. The last time we played I had Grenadiers behind a wall so I guess Stian had nightmares about their melee DEF18 and thus let me go first (!) as he won the roll-off and wanted the side he took. I wonder how much it affects the matchup though.

A great start to the tournament with 3-0 on day 1. Day 2 was awaiting me with another really clutch game...

Game 4 can be found here.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar